More About Her

Friday, November 04, 2016



I’m back to share more of myself, though this will be a broader version of my self-introduction on my previous post.

I took the education course for no reason. Ah no, there’s actually a reason, and it’s because one of my closest high school friends took that course. I originally took a computer-related course, attended some of its classes for a week, and shifted to the education world right after. I don’t know, I just felt sad during my whole first week. None of my high school friends took that course in the same school I have, though, I do have high school classmates who studied in there, too. It’s just that they took a different course, just like one of my closest friends from high school.

My classmates in there were cool, but I think it’s dealing with the new environment that I have that I decided to shift. I still wanted to be with at least one high school friend to survive my college life so yeah, I changed course. I can still remember how annoyed my mom was at me because I kept on changing course (I almost forgot to mention that during the entrance examination, I took a test for those who want to take the engineering course. I passed but didn’t push through, on it. Thanks to my Kuya who scared me that I’ll be facing tons of numbers and formulas once I take it).

Changing courses wasn’t really that hard for me because aside from it happened as fast as I expected it would be, it’s also because I really don’t know what I wanted to do during that time. I remember wanting to be an architect and engineer when I was in high school just because of the high salary that I’m guaranteed once I start working (that’s what they told me back then). Unfortunately, drawing isn’t my thing and so does numbers (don’t worry, I’m also wondering up ‘til now how I passed the entrance examination for engineering course before). So yep, hello education world and hello old high school friend for me!

At first, I wasn’t really enjoying my course, especially what I majored. I can still remember how my professors in my major subjects asked us to make our own chair, fix a car, try to make a non-working refrigerator and air conditioner work, connect two metals through welding and such (like dang, why do I have to study all of these?). But as time passed by, I unconsciously started loving what I was doing. The manly major subjects that I have started to become something interesting for me, and that’s also the time where I started accepting and loving my course. I was in my 3rd year when I realized what I really wanted to do. I already love my course that time. I have also experienced teaching kids which I really enjoyed a lot, but my heart wanted something different, and that was to be a flight attendant. But I have to be honest, I was just all words. I mean, I want to become a flight attendant but I don’t really want to do something to be one (I know I’m not alone on this one. Haha!)
April 2015, when I graduated from college. You can see above how happy I am for finally, I won't studying anymoreeee~! LOL (that’s what I thought until I started reviewing for my licensure examination).

A month after my graduation, I started reviewing for my licensure examination. I and my college friends studied again in a review center for we don’t really trust ourselves when it comes to self-studying (Haha!). Our review days lasted for four months. We felt everything within those four months – pressure, stress, etc.. God knows how many tears I’ve let out because I really wanted to quit, and just not take the licensure examination anymore. What ifs came in to my mind, which was really not helpful, especially during those times. But of course, prayers were never gone, that’s my strongest power against negativity. 
A groufie with my friends during review days. Okay… this doesn’t look like we’re stressed at all. LOL 
September 2015 when our licensure examination came. It felt like a nightmare and  a dream came true at the same time. All of us were so nervous but we all know we prepared and we gave our best shot. Right after the examination, we went to a mall and partied (LOL). Vent out all of the stress we felt for the whole four months of seriously taking studying, seriously, through eating. Licensure examination was like, a life or death deal wherein you need to pass or else, you’ll die, emotionally and mentally.

It usually takes months for the LET passers to be announced because of the number of people taking the exam. So while waiting, I came back to being the jobless bum. I did nothing but surf the internet, fangirl, eat and sleep at home for a month. It was only when my mom got mad because I was not yet looking for a job instead, I’m lazing off at home that I decided to do so. To be honest, I was not mentally prepared to work. I was afraid of the fact that I really need to face the real world and give back the support my parents gave me when I was still a baby until I graduated from college. But I have no choice, obviously.

Though anyway, December 2015 when the result of the LET was announced. I PASSED!!! I was actually in the middle of working when it was announced and I just knew I passed when I received lots of SMS from my friends congratulating me. At first, I wondered why, until I remembered the LET. And you know guys, hearing the news that I passed the licensure examination was surely one of the bestest things that have ever happened to me. All of my hard work, tears I let out, stress, pressure, sleepless nights, etc., were well paid off. More than how I expected it would be. The happiness I saw in my parents’ eyes when I told them the news was more than enough to tell myself that I really made it. 

So, going back to my search-for-a-job story. I looked for a job that’s related to my course but will not require me to teach in a school setting (because I was not yet prepared). Jobstreet was a big help during that time. I found a job where the company needs an office-based online English tutor for Japanese students. That was exactly the kind of job I wanted to have that time because I was so obsessed about Japan. I even declined a job offer where I’ll be teaching Korean students because I really want to teach Japanese students. So from Batangas, I flew to Manila to start my journey. Good thing I have a friend who’s staying in Manila. She was a big help to the probinsyana me because I really don’t know where this and that was. I didn’t know being a Manila newbie was so difficult until I started staying in the place.

It was my first attempt to find a job so I really prepared a lot. I did research about the common questions that might be asked in an interview and even talked to myself in the mirror as if I’m interviewing myself. And guys, I’m telling you, doing that was really a big help because when I did the interview in that company, I didn’t feel nervous at all. It was like I was already expecting the questions the interviewer asked me, though, mind you, memorizing your answer is not a good thing. I practiced, yes, but when I was already in the said situation, all of my answers weren’t scripted. And yes, I passed. I passed on my first ever job interview. I accepted the job and worked in there.

My first job was fun, seriously fun! I get to talk to my favorite people (which are the Japanese people). I got to learn their culture, their language, and how to deal with them. Most of my Japanese students were adults so it wasn’t really that difficult for me to talk with them since they’re already (kinda) knowledgeable or exposed to the English language which is a good thing to me since I’m still a beginner when it comes to speaking Japanese, though, I also have nursery/junior high/high school students who really can’t communicate in English wherein I really need to use my limited Japanese vocabulary words just to talk with them. Good thing I was a bit good at understanding their language because I don’t know what might’ve happened to us if I don’t know how to speak or understand it at all.

I worked in that company for six months. It was short, yes. I wanted to continue working in that company because I don’t want to leave my students (I really love them so much!) but I was not enjoying what I was doing already. My mind and body started searching for a more challenging job. I mean, teaching students online was a fun job, but it’s not as challenging as I thought it would be. Plus the fact that the environment where I was working was really stressful. Everybody needs to work hard (like do lots of overtime without getting paid) as if they are Japanese. Our boss is Japanese and he’s expecting that we’re as hard working as them, when in reality, nope. Also, the salary was very low, can’t even save money for myself because of all the things that I need to pay and buy (food, house, transportation, happiness etc.).

When I was already on my rendering month, I started looking for a new job. A job more challenging and I’ve been wanting to try while I was still working as an online English tutor – a customer service job. Don’t judge me, to be a CSR had also become one of my dream jobs when I was in high school. All because of the high salary that I kept on hearing from every people I know working as one (you see, I consider the salary I'll be getting most of the time). But when I had my first job, my reason for pursuing that job (CSR job), changed. Now, I chose to land in this more stressful and challenging work because of the chance given to talk to Americans. I’m not into Americans or something, but I just really want to practice my communicating skills to native English speakers. Yes, I needed to talk in English whenever I communicate to my Japanese students but it was not really that challenging for I know I was better than them when it comes to speaking. There was never a time where I worried about the way I communicate during that time. But being a CSR is different, getting the chance to communicate to Americans mean you should be good at speaking and understanding the English language. We also all know that Filipino and American English accent are two different things, which adds up as to why being a CSR is a more challenging job for me.

So that’s it, I tried my luck in the CSR world, and yup, I did it! I passed on my first ever CSR interview.

Now, I’m still working as a CSR. Earning money enough to prepare myself for all the things I will be needing once I apply for a cabin crew position. I’m already on my fourth month and I’m just so happy with it. Most especially, with the environment that I have. Maybe I’m just also lucky that I was given the chance to work in this company.

I know some of you are already thinking why I’m not using my professional I.D. by working in a school, but my reason still remains there, I'm not yet ready. Not this time. Maybe after a few years, I don't know. Who knows? Don’t get me wrong, I know I still love teaching, but not as much as how I love to tour the world.


xx

You Might Also Like

0 comments